Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Trip to Puerto Rico

Cruising on the Caribbean, lolling on the sandy white beaches and sipping a glass of Pina Colada- this is the heaven I was looking forward to, on my vacation to Puerto Rico. Booking a cheap ticket to Puerto Rico was child’s play as nearly 39 airlines operate from its Luiz Munoz Marin International Airport at San Juan.

Cheap flights to Puerto Rico:

Delta, Continental, American and AirTran Airlines operate flights to Puerto Rico. Around 2000 international flights depart from the San Juan airport which is connected to 53 cities by non-stop flights. For as little as $234, you can get cheap tickets to this Caribbean isle and enjoy your heavenly holiday. The best part is you don’t even need a passport if you are American to visit this tourist paradise!

Puerto Rico sounded inviting with its idyllic and picturesque setting vibrant culture and array of tourist vistas. People told me to visit the Castillo del Felipe del Morro – a formidable fortress with cannons and all, Vieques Biobay with its glistening green waters and El Yunque-the only tropical rainforest in all America.

I planned a trip soon after the New Year in February – March as I heard a lot of events were in store for me at Puerto Rico.

Upcoming Shows and Events in Puerto –Rico:

Come February, you can be all set to enjoy the Mayaguez Saint Patron Festival at the Porta del sol in Puerto Rico, starting on February 2nd, this colorful fiesta includes fun, games, rides, food kiosks and more.

A coffee-connoisseur myself, I couldn’t wait to sample the aromatic brew at the Maricao Coffee Festival in Puerto Rico. An exciting extravaganza lasting for two days from February 10-12, this festival marking the end of the coffee harvest is a feast to the eyes. A colorful carnival with folk dances, shows, games and lively entertainment, meant unstoppable entertainment for me.

March has much in store for me at Puerto Rico. The Expo Calidad del Vida, a Caribbean health event sounded informative with its multiple stalls advocating different health therapies from all over the world.

For music maniacs, there is the Casals festival which was convened first by the legendary cellist and musician Pablo Casals. A congregation of exemplary classical musicians from around the globe, this music ensemble is on from February 17- March 11 at the Centro del Bellas Artes.

I just can’t wait to sample the collection at the taste of Rum festival in old San Juan. This Rum festival lasts for the 2 days from March 17-18 ad offers the best of broth and brew.

On 22nd March, the Emancipation day (Dia de la Abolition de Esclavitud), a public holiday in Puerto Rico, I plan to shop, tour and relax at Puerto Rico.

Join me at the Dia de la Salsa Carolina on 25 March at the Plaza de Recreo de Carolina. My feet are ready to tap to the lively beat and rhythm. I also want to visit the contemporary art exhibition of David Chapelle, the famous photographer on March 25. This exhibition called “US-Mankind at the edge” is sure going to be an eye-opener for me.

I really plan to make the best of my sojourn in the Caribbean after boarding one of the cheap airline flights to Puerto Rico.