Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Incredible Holidays to California

After a stint of hard work, I needed a break .So for an idyllic holiday; I started to look out for cheap tickets to California. With nearly 138 airports in California and a host of airlines operating from each one, I found no difficulty in booking my tickets.

Landing at San Francisco Airport, I headed straight to the Chancellor hotel on Union Square for a fresh and change. Then I started out to fulfill the true purpose of my cheap flights to California which was sightseeing.

California’s charming attractions:

America’s Golden State California is a veritable treasure trove of tourist attractions.

The Golden Gate Bridge:
This was one iconic landmark I wanted to feast my eyes on. So I strolled along the east sidewalk near Strauss Statue and took snazzy snapshots of this glorious bridge from Fort Point overlook. This 1.7 mile long Golden Gate Bridge with its tall majestic towers, sweeping pan and arches makes it an imposing and awesome sight.

Yosemite National Park:
I had heard a lot about this verdant forest reserve during my flight journey to California.  Located in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Yosemite National Park is a natural bounty with towering mountains, winding rivers, tall trees. This park is ideal for hiking with its serpentine trails, snow skiing and photo shoots. With a $10 entrance fee per person and $ 20 per car, this Park is a true hot-house of natural adventure.

Death Valley:
This was one landmark destination I did not want to miss, having heard much about it. So I took a short flight to Death Valley which is 524 miles from San Francisco and spent the day and night there.

Supposed to be the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere, Death Valley proved to be thrilling prospect with a myth in its name. From sand dunes in deserts to snow-capped mountains and water-fluted canyons, Death Valley is a wonderful world of wilderness. Encompassing 3 million acres, the Death Valley National Park is a definite adventure that is hard to miss.

I took the tour of Scotty’s castle and strolled along to Furnace Creek. The Paleontology Tour was a walk down memory lane following mammal tracks while the Lower Vine Ranch tour was equally interesting. Camping at the lodge had a bonfire going and with some guitars strumming, w had a pleasant night. This stay was truly worth taking cheap flights to Death Valley.

Palm Springs:
Called the green oasis of California, Palm Springs is roughly 482 miles. I was in time to attend the Palm Springs Follies- a show at the Palm Strings Theatre featuring major local artists. I was also lucky to be there on a Wednesday & Thursday to attend both the Italian-American Pasta Social and the Village Fest. The Pasta Social is one food fest of pasta and other Italian delights. Palm Springs transformed into a giant carnival with fun fairs, acrobatic, puppetry and magic shows and other entertainment along with food buffets and more. I also savored the food fare in the major restaurants of Palm Canyon Drive.

I returned home a satiated soul with my heart full of the charm of California.