Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cancun - A popular spring break travel destination

Cancun is a great Caribbean destination attracting tourists from all over the world. This coastal city, situated on the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo in Mexico, is famous for its white sand beaches and crystal blue water. Cancun offers sun, sand and nightclubs – all that a Caribbean paradise would. This beautiful place – with its clear waters, beautiful beaches, great weather, and nearby coral reef – receives over 3 million tourists every year.
Famous world over as a popular spring break travel destination, the very thought of visiting Cancun is alluring. I could not hold myself at these thoughts and decided to get hold of cheap flights deal at the earliest. Without losing any further time, I spared few hours to conduct a search on the Internet and see whether I succeed in getting low fares. I fortunately landed on a website of a well-known travel company Fare Buzz and got great flight deals. I booked Spirit Airlines flights from Atlanta to Cancun.

After booking my airline tickets, I started preparations for my trip. In fact, I was traveling to Cancun for the first time. I booked the tickets so that I could fly in the springtime as it is simply a great fun to visit during this time of the year. However, there’s a caution. Though Cancun is a popular spring break travel destination, the weather patterns here during springtime are unpredictable. The weather can be humid and hot.
Sometimes, it rains as well. For those traveling for the first time, it is important to get updates on rainy seasons or other weather-related issues prior to your journey.

Previously, Cancun was a long strip of forest flanked by beaches. The Mexican government, however, decided to develop Cancun as a tourist destination in the 1970s because of its great weather, clear waters, beautiful beaches, and nearby coral reef. The city has now become the biggest resort area in Mexico. The paradise setting of Cancun also makes it a popular wedding and honeymoon destination.
My visit to Cancun was indeed thrilling. I explored the archaeological ruins from the pre-Columbian Mayan civilization. It was quite fascinating to visit the underwater art museum in the National Marine Park. There are 400 life-sized sculptures in clear shallow waters creating artificial reefs for marine life in the museum. The snorkelers, scuba divers and tourists riding in glass-bottomed boats get an opportunity to see the marine life interacting with the art sculptures. Other favorite pastime with the tourists here includes swimming with dolphins, going on guided Cancun jungle tours, and fishing during a boat tour in the Caribbean Sea. I simply enjoyed every bit during my stay in Cancun. I would love to visit this fantastic place again sometime in future.