Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mexico – The King of Good Food

Being a diehard foodie, I love to travel to different places to try out different cuisines and the local delicacies. This time I decided to visit Mexico so that I can enjoy the local cuisines and dishes that are known all over the world. Mexican cuisine has been listed by UNESCO as an intangible asset. In my quest to try out the local cuisine and delicacies, I started searching for the cheap flights to Mexico over Google and other online travel agencies. 

I booked my airline tickets to Mexico with the local regional airline. It is not very difficult to book your tickets for Mexico as visitors from all over the world swarm here all round the year. Mexico is also known for its other aspects such as winter holidays which include “Day of the Virgin Guadalupe”, “Las Pasadas”, “Dia de los Reyes” and other days. Christmas is celebrated with great zeal and vigor and it makes it one of the best times to visit Mexico. The cheap flights to Mexico are hard to obtain during this time.

Finally I arrived at Mexico on 27th December, there was a spirit of Christmas that was running around amongst the people and preparations are for the New Year Eve was in full swing. The Mexican cuisine is broadly divided into 4 main categories according to the region namely Northern, Central, Southeastern and Coastal.

Northern cuisine mainly deals with the beef and goat meat and is affected by a number of international cuisines from US and Europe. Central has a local flavor that is developed in a variety of dishes such as Pozole, Menude and Carnitas. Southeastern is known for its vegetables and chicken based dishes. It has a lot of influence of Caribbean cuisine. Coast mainly comprises of the seafood and fish recipes.

When I was searching for the cheap tickets to Mexico, I found out many popular places to eat in the country that are known for their cuisines and local delicacies. I visited some of them in my short visit to Mexico.

Upon reaching Mexico, I checked into the Presidente Intercontinental Hotel. This hotel has a restaurant by the name of Au Pied de Cochon which is famous for its French food that is served here 24 hours. Some of the other specialties of this restaurant are Seafood and pork that is served with locally prepared fresh Mexican sauces and curries. My next stop was at Bar le Opera which is known for the great Mexican food along with the opulent red booth and other woodwork. Bellini is another restaurant that is situated in the close proximity to this restaurant is another interesting place to visit. This restaurant is known for international cuisines which includes Canadian Lobsters and Spaghetti Cartoccio.

If you have an Android based smart phone then you can easily utilize the services of the Google and other location based services that will find you restaurants and other dining areas that are situated in the close proximity. This idea worked for me and I hope that this will work for you. Just book your flights to Mexico and get ready to taste some of the most sumptuous delicacies of Mexico.