Thursday, March 22, 2012

A City that Witnessed Many Ups and Downs

It is necessary to perform a lot of exercises before going for a long tour. It is most important if the destination is too far and you are going for the first time. These exercises are not limited to the bargaining for cheap airfares. You will have to collect as much as information about the destination like the accommodation availability, food, prevailing political conditions etc. Nowadays, all these exercises are very easy as almost all information is available on line. I too did all these exercises before my trip to Seattle. I have planned to visit the city during the 24 day Seattle International Film Festival. As my trip was on an official invitation, I did not have to worry about airline prices and accommodation. Hence, I most concentrated to get the information about the important places in and around the city. I did not want to confine my trip to film festival, instead I thought of making it as a pleasure trip too.

During my exercises to find out details about Seattle, I approached one of my friends too. He has visited the city recently on a business trip. He gave me a brief about the city. According to him, there are no other cities in this world that might have witnessed as many ups and downs as this city witnessed. With dense forest around the city, once it was the main center for timber business. Later, during the gold rush in Alaska and during the 1st World War, many ship building units thrived here. Then the city faced a lot of troubles due to various labor strikes. Resection followed the war too affected the economy. City was almost ruined and many people left the place. Then Boeing started their plant there and city started its revival. Again it faced an economical fiasco during 70s. Then it again started thriving in business with the arrival of many companies in the field of information technology and bio-technology.   Now it is an important city and there are many flights to Seattle. It is well connected with rest of the world.

When I reached Seattle, the entire city was ready to welcome the tourists. As all major airlines are operating cheap flights to Seattle during this season, there were more visitors this time. There I met two other delegates who have come for the film festival. We spend that evening at a bar at Seattle center. The music played there was a display of the cultural heritage of the city. The city had many known bands in 60s and early70s.

During the intervals and on days when films that I did not have any interest to see were showing, I visited many places including some museums. The evenings were really lively with a number of night clubs and pubs. There were several venues for performing arts too. The traditional and the modern arts forms were performed there regularly. The city that witnessed many ups and downs really fascinated me a lot. I have decided to come back here as soon as I reach my home back. As cheap tickets to Seattle are available, I am not worried about the expenses.