Monday, March 26, 2012

Over the Great Wall

I have read it somewhere that the only man made thing visible from the space is the Great Wall of China. However, I thought that inside the great wall there will be iron curtains. It is not any kind of prejudice. We know about the iron curtain that existed in Soviet Union and we came to know more about it after the collapse of the communist government there. In the same way, the communist government in China may be maintaining a high level of secrecy. I have read about the Cultural Revolution lead by Mao Se Tung. All these facts created a fear about China and I thought my Beijing visit will be a total disaster.

Being a rising economical force in the world, China gained a lot of importance in international trade. They are producing many products at a cheaper price. I went there to sign certain business deals with some manufacturing units. As, I was totally prejudiced about China and had no hope for enjoying the trip, hence I decided to take cheap flights to Beijing and at least save some money.

However, when I reached Beijing, I got the shock of my life. The treatment I received right from the airport was equal to the one that we get in any of the modern western cities. The Cultural Revolution has become a thing of past and there is no evidence to prove that an iron curtain prevails there. What I had in my mind was proven to be wrong. Once I checked in my hotel, I tried to gather as much as information about Beijing and surroundings. I had discussed about various modes of transport too as the industries I had to visit were outside Beijing. I was told that there are many cheap domestic flights and it will be better to go there by air as it will not only be economical but will save a lot of time too.

After finishing my work successfully, I decided to spend two more days in Beijing. The communist China has changed a lot. The new face of China is not so reddish. It shines like gold. Wudaokou, a student’s hangout in city reminded me of my college days. I never thought such a place will be there in a country which follows a communism and had suppressed the student’s force in Tian’anmen Square in mid 80’s. Here I also saw a large number of foreigners too. I was told that most of them are visiting China on business. As China started involving in International business vigorously, the visitors also increased. Now, almost all flights to Beijing all full all over the year.

I was quite repentant this time about my prejudiced mind. However was happy about the decision of buying cheap tickets to Beijing and I could enjoy the time spent here with the extra money I had saved. Anyway, there are many chances in future to visit this city. I will certainly come back crossing the great walls once again.