Thursday, April 12, 2012

A perfect blend of east and west

It was a Friday afternoon. Almost all employees have put down their tools and started planning for weekend events. At the time a call has come from the head quarters of our company. It was for me and the matter was simple. I have to report in the head quarters next week. They have decided to send me to Hong Kong for initializing the activities of our company there.

When I reached our head quarters, the airline tickets and other papers related to my travel were ready. They have booked my tickets in one of the cheap flights. When I reached Hong Kong, the airport was crowded. Though it has come under the Peoples Republic of China, it has been treated as a special administrative region and the law and order prevailing here is totally different from that of mainland China. The economic policies adopted by the authorities here is one of the freest in the world and very much supportive to capitalist economy. Thus the city has thriving in business and a lot of people are visiting the city daily. This made the major airlines to operate flights to Hong Kong and that is why the airport is crowded.

After checking in, I went outside and roamed on the street in front of my hotel. There were a number of retail shops on both the sides of the street. It has become a hot spot for shopping and many people from foreign countries are visiting the city for shopping. The cheap tickets to Hong Kong, introduced by many international airlines increased number of tourists nowadays.

Though the city ceased to be a part of British Colony, the lifestyle of the denizens remains the same as that of the west. Still, the ethics and philosophy of east prevails here. That is clearly visible in the construction of the buildings. Most of the buildings do not have room numbers that have the digit 4. This, I came to know is because of a belief as per the age old Chinese astrology. This blending of cultures can be clearly seen in many venues of performing arts. There you can enjoy the traditional Chinese arts along with western dances and music. There are many such venues where you can watch various cultural programs. I used to visit some of such venues daily in the evening after finishing my day’s schedule.

The beach which I visited once was also crowded with foreigners. This clearly indicates that Hong Kong has become a hot tourist destination too apart from its importance as one of the most important financial centers in the world. With the introduction of cheap flights to Hong Kong, more and more foreigners are visiting nowadays. Various parks and religious centers also play an important role in attracting tourists.

I could finish my task as planned and I got two days to visit these places. I did not waste a single second and I have hired a taxi to visit all important places. When I returned from my tour, I was not satisfied with the tour. I know I have a lot more to see there. Shortly, I will be visiting Hong Kong once again along with my family.