Friday, June 22, 2012

Experiencing the might of Germans

Germans have many resemblances to Japanese. Both these people have been defeated and ruined almost everything during the 2nd World War. They were under the control of the winning alliance for some time and have to agree for many terms and conditions when they got freedom. With all these draw backs everybody thought these two nations will become poorer and will be conquered by neighbors in the near future. However, to the surprise of everyone both these nations have come up with their determination and strong will and became economic powers within a short span of time. Germany became stronger after unification of West Germany and East Germany. I witnessed this strong will and might of Germans during my last visit to Frankfurt.

It was an official trip. As usual my company insisted on flying with cheap plane tickets. This made my job more complicated as I had to take the airline prices from different airlines and agents to find out the cheapest one. Being an important economic and business center in Europe, airlines like British Airways, Air Canada etc are operating flights to Frankfurt. With the help of a friend of mine I got succeed in getting a ticket in one of the cheap flights to Frankfurt.

After reaching there, I had to meet some of our existing clients and I did the work in the first two or three days. After those meetings I got relieved as I got the freedom to decide my schedule. This gave me a chance to visit some of the most important places in the city.

The first place I went was Saint Bartholomew’s Cathedral. It is a 14th century Gothic building. Ancient Roman and German Empires were crowned inside this church which has been converted to a Cathedral by 18th century. I visited Saint Paul’s Church too. More than a religious place this church has the historical importance of being the seat of the first democratically elected government in 1848. There is an archeological garden near to Saint Bartholomew’s Cathedral. This is a collection of the oldest buildings in Frankfurt. This has been found after the World War II. This entire area has been bombed during the World War II and these partially demolished buildings where found while removing the debris.

Apart from such historical places the city houses several parks and open places. It has a large botanical garden also. As in the case of history, this city is rich in arts and culture too. I could see many foreigners gathered at various venues for performing arts. As cheap tickets to Frankfurt are available, more and more people from other parts of Europe are visiting this city to enjoy various cultural events. 

As my stay over there was only for a short time I could not experience the entire city life. Still, the skyscrapers and many other symbols of development convinced me about the might of Germans. Not only the World War II, but any other war can never defeat them. They are proving that none can defeat people with strong will and determination.