Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Exquisitely Designed Monuments of Washington

Washington DC is the heart of political and economic activities no doubt. However, the city is also well known for its exquisite architectural work that ranges from neoclassical Gothic monuments to various memorials after the Civil War. 

When I took one of the flights to Washington DC, I could at once notice why the beautiful city is well known by all. The capital city of US is marked by various architecture, monuments, memorials, and palatial buildings. No wonder, majority of the top 10 buildings of the US is placed here. It is also intriguing to note that such monuments at Washington DC were not created in one century. There are some designed during Queen Anne’s area, Victorian age, after the famous Civil War, and Modern era. I had planned early, got best airline tickets to take one of the modest flights to the city.

Exquisite Memorials
Many airlines have organized cheap flights to Washington DC so that modest travelers like me can check out all exclusive memorials that have been built to show respect to those who laid down their lives in wars and events that the city has witnessed in history. For instance, DC War Memorial is dedicated to the citizens who have lost their lives during the First World War. Korean War Veterans Memorial offers a tribute the people who died during the Korean War. The memorial has exquisite granite statues of the leaders.

And, we should not forget mentioning Abraham Lincoln Memorial, where the statue of the leader is placed at a 10-feet high marble base. There are engraves and murals in the 38 columns in this memorial. Jefferson Memorial is yet another unique rotunda-shaped 19-feet bronze statue of US third President. Even on stopover flights, I found tourists often take time to visit the beautifully Cherry-blossom trees decked up memorial.

I had got the best airline tickets as the deal included my visit to the monuments, such as Roosevelt’s Memorial to monolithic stone carvings of Eisenhower Memorial and Iwo Jima Memorial. I had planned intelligently, browsed the net to hunt for cheap tickets to Washington DC so that I could avail budget flights.

Special Monuments
The George Washington monument is one of the prestigious monuments of the US where I made sure to visit. The structure is huge at 555 feet. The next eye-catching monument is United Capitol Building – the seat of legislative activities. This is the next tallest building after Washington Monument. And, yet another famous monument is the White House where President and the first family members reside. I did not have to worry about the cost. My cheap flights to Washington DC did the trick. And I enjoyed the 6-storied building that has many conference halls, auditoriums, and cabinet rooms for the President’s official work.

So, I went back home with a lot of memorable glimpse of historical monuments. I’d advice to all my friends to get one of the cheap flights to Washington DC and find out more on the place -- the heritage city of the country.