Monday, December 17, 2012

Budapest - A city steeped in rich culture and history

As part of my job, I have to travel to various destinations periodically. In this way, I have visited some of the most unique destinations that were earlier unheard of. These beautiful places brought me close to the nature and I also came to know about the history and culture of these places. This has really expanded my horizons like anything. This is the reason; I am forever ready to visit a relatively lesser known place. This time, I was asked to visit Budapest, the capital city of Hungary. I had heard about Budapest earlier also because of its political upheavals. I was happy to receive this opportunity so that I can know more about this destination. Soon, I started looking for best airline deals as my pocket would not allow me more than cheap plane tickets. Since several flights to Budapest like Air France are available these days, I did not face any trouble in finalizing cheap tickets.

As soon as I reached this wonderful destination that is known for its rich history and culture, I was amazed to see its nascent beauty. Besides known for political turmoil, the city is also known to be a prominent industrial and commercial hub of Europe. I had booked city tour well in advance to gain more knowledge about this place. As soon as my job was over, I embarked on my tour to see the city at close quarters. Our tour guide was quite knowledgeable and beside prominent attractions of the city, he also told us about the way of living, culture, history and many other aspects of this destination that helped us to understand the place in a better way.

Our first stop was at the Royal Palace where we came across some unique style of architecture. Several art galleries and museums are also housed in this palace. We also visited St Stephan’s Basilica that is another place known for its remarkable architecture. The style of architecture used here is representative of Italian Renaissance period. Next on our list was the House of Parliament that is considered to be one of the most beautiful buildings in Europe. Constructed in a neo-Gothic style, the statues of some of the most noteworthy monarchs can be witnessed here. Since the destination boasts of such a huge variety of attractions, the number of tourists coming here is also increasing at a gradual pace. Moreover, several cheap flights to Budapest are available these days, so booking cheap tickets to Budapest is not a challenging task.


Next day, we visited the Fisherman’s Bastion, the white cloisters of which glistens from a distance. A breathtaking view of the city can be admired from the turrets of this building where one can reach through the stairs. My visit was truly remarkable and I vowed to revisit this place again.